Marc Cote | AssociateSe habla español.
- Business Litigation
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Consumer Protection
- Employment Law
- Wage and Hour
- 206.816.6603 (Main)
- 206.518.6223 (Direct) Email
USDC for the West. Dist. of WA
- USDC for the East. Dist. of CA
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Marc Cote concentrates his practice on employment law, construction law, commercial litigation and consumer class actions. Marc is experienced in enforcing the rights of employees, LLC and other small business owners, and consumers. He has successfully represented clients in a wide range of matters, including those involving wage and hour violations, LLC and partnership disputes, employment discrimination, and breach of contract. Marc has a particular interest and extensive experience in the representation of individuals who work on public works projects. Prior to entering private practice, Marc served as a law clerk to the Honorable Walter L. Carpeneti of the Alaska Supreme Court. While in law school, he served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Ricardo Martinez of the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington. Marc was named a “Rising Star” by Washington Law & Politics magazine in 2010.
Professional Organizations and Activities
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Washington State Bar Association, Litigation, Construction Law, and Labor and Employment Law Sections
- King County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Federal Bar Association
- Washington Employment Lawyers Association
- Pacific Coast Labor and Employment Law Conference Planning Committee, Special Topics Subcommittee
- 2010 Washington Law & Politics “Rising Star”
- Mary Ellen Krug Award for Excellence in Labor and Employment Law
- Vivian Carkeek Award for Best Student Contribution to Washington Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Global Visionaries, Board of Directors (2009-2012)
- Volunteer Lawyer for KCBA Newcomers Resource Project (2009-2010)
University of Washington School of Law - with high honors - J.D.
- Executive Articles Editor, Washington Law Review
- Order of the Coif
Seattle University - summa cum laude - B.A.
- Sullivan Leadership Award
- LeRoux Leadership Award
- Ramirez v. Precision Drywall, Inc. - Obtained jury verdict and judgment ultimately amounting to over $4.2 million on behalf of 325 drywall workers whose employer deprived them of overtime pay and made unlawful deductions from their pay.
- Siding Installation Company Settlement - Negotiated confidential pre-litigation settlement on behalf of 14 Spanish-speaking construction workers who asserted claims of failure to pay wages required by Washington Minimum Wage Act.
- Professional Services Contract Arbitration - Obtained substantial arbitration award and judgment as lead counsel in arbitration of breach of contract claim for failure to pay for services provided.
- Legal Services Company Settlement - Negotiated confidential pre-litigation settlement on behalf of former member of limited liability company who asserted claims for breach of contract for failure to pay ownership interest, failure to make contractual profit payments, and promissory estoppel.
- Discrimination Claims Against Software and Telecommunications Company - Negotiated confidential pre-litigation settlement on behalf of manager who alleged gender discrimination, violation of Equal Pay Act, and retaliation.
- DeGiorgi v. Department of the Navy - Negotiated settlement on behalf of individual alleging disability discrimination in violation of federal Rehabilitation Act as a result of Navy’s failure to hire him for civilian position.
- Online Retailer Settlement - Negotiated confidential pre-litigation settlement on behalf of individual alleging wrongful termination in violation of public policy after being terminated as a result of taking action to protect safety of employees at workplace.
- Online Retailer Settlement II - Negotiated confidential pre-litigation settlement on behalf of individual alleging disability discrimination and unlawful wage rebates.
- Wireless Company Settlement - Negotiated settlement concerning unpaid bonuses to which client was entitled pursuant to employment contract.
- Lindsey & Hayes v. CF Sales, Inc. - Negotiated settlement of $155,000 for two carpet cleaners who were misclassified as exempt from Washington overtime and rest and meal break laws.
- Several settlements in multi-plaintiff cases for recovery of prevailing wages on public works projects - Successful settlements have included cases involving representation of carpenters, laborers, drywall hangers and tapers, siding installers, and insulation installers.
- Chan v. City of Seattle; Cranwell Irrevocable Living Trust; Phillips Real Estate - Obtained dismissal of claims for personal injury for property owner and property management company arising from incident on sidewalk adjacent to client's property.
Wage and Hour Class & Collective Actions
Commercial Litigation & Business Torts
Other Complex Litigation
Articles & Publications
- Marc Cote, Litigating the Prevailing Wage Case, WSBA Litigation News, Winter 2011-2012.
- Marc Cote, Proving Damages in Wage and Hour Cases, Low Wage Workers Legal Network Training (December 7, 2011)
- Marc Cote, Getting Dooced: Employee Blogs and Employer Blogging Policies Under the National Labor Relations Act, 81 Wash. L. Rev. 121 (2007)